Thursday, 15 August 2013

Week 3: Music, Fashion, and Food as ART CULTURE?

This week topic is really interesting, is about art movements in globalisation. It is more like what art movement that has influenced or compared with my own culture. I personally love diversity, especially culture diversity :) because somehow it is just like beautiful and unique to see every single individual for example brings their own culture which help us to know about others as well. "There is a now a world culture, but we had better make sure we understand what this means; not a replication of uniformity but an organisation of diversity, an increasing interconnectedness of varied local cultures, as well as a development of cultures without a clear anchorage in any one territory. And to this interconnected diversity people can relate in different ways." (Jan Nederveen 2007, pg. 76) For this week topic I will talk about my personal view regarding the art culture like music, fashion and food.

If we look back into 90's and we compare with nowadays music I believe we can see such a huge gap different with them. I mean not only how they create or compose the music, I'm talking about the different taste and sense of music people nowadays compared with couple years ago. Lots of old songs that has been remade with new arrangement and type but it sold lots of copies and many people liking it. For example Journey - Don't Stop Believing is like 80's song but Glee remade it with new sensation without changed the main song and yes it went pretty well I can say. 




(Journey - Don't Stop Believing)


(Glee - Don't Stop Believing)


I personally do following up many cultures out there from many aspect. I often follow up music from many different country and type like US, UK, Australia as some of the english songs but I also like Korean and Japanese songs, mandarin songs from Taiwan, China, Malaysia and Singapore. I mean like I don't even know the meaning of the songs like I cant even speak korean, japanese or even mandarin but somehow I just enjoy it.


Talking about other culture from other countries, things applied differently in different circumstances.



This picture pretty much says everything, I mean like culture has been raised by society around as well. I'm not saying in America you cannot dress like that or you look bad as a guy you dressed like in the picture. But my point is again the culture is different, in America the "real" guy supposed to be dressed like a real muscular macho guy because might be influenced by Hollywood. Influenced by different things, not only the guys but most of people in Korea they get influenced or obsessed with K-POP or korean drama which they have "pretty" boy instead of macho guy.



I believe food is part of an art as well, if it is not well at least it is for me. In essence that just like an art that been raised in different culture, food itself has a culture as well in different places. For example, McDonald got a mascot statue is like a clown with yellow and red colour. Somehow it crossed my mind how smart they are to make different kind of statue to match with some cultures in other countries. For example McDonald in Thailand, they got a clown statue in front of the store with his hand like give greeting, following Thailand's culture how they usually greet people.


Not only that, maybe it is weird for some of you knowing that McDonald is selling rice with fried chicken but it is the fact. Jump to Indonesia, following the culture how Indonesian as part of Asian love to eat rice and fried food (I think that is why they make fried chicken in McD).





References

Pieterse, J 2007, 'Global Multiculture, Flexible Acculturation', Globalizations, 4, 1, pp. 65-79, Academic Search Complete, EBSCOhost, viewed 16 August 2013.


4 comments:

  1. Hello,

    I too love cultural diversity and believe it is important to understand each others cultures. Globalisation has definitely altered how we view the world. I found your discussion on music interesting, how it changes from generation to generation. But as in all generations, you can reflect on the one before and see a substantial difference in both the culture and society; each generation remixes songs to reflect their current times. I was in high school in the 80’s and use to listen to ‘Don't Stop Believing’, I enjoy it when songs from my generation are given a new feel. I think people’s views can be very stereotypical. For example, how we view other cultures can be far removed from reality. For instance, some perceive that Australians would have kangaroos in their gardens, when the reality is most Australians rarely see a kangaroo. I also found the facts on McDonald's adapting their products to suit the culture interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andres,

    I am intrigued by your blogging on music, fashion and food culture as components of “Art Movement”. I for one, believe music has been remixed in our contemporary Art society as known to be “simulacra”, copies of copies that are original but appropriated in essence so to prevent plagiarism or copyright laws being broken. Music is globalized and is proven by TV shows such as “Glee” remaking versions of “all time’ favorite classic tunes, the music globalized is usually made mainstream. I also believe there are stereotypes of ‘how’ fashion in the world is typified by the culture and how the “male or female” should dress, different countries such as American in contrast to Korea have their own styles as this is evident in Japan, “The Harajuku” style. Food outlets also, appropriate their meal choices to suit the typical Mc Donalds by the country to suit their “culture” for instance the fact that rice is incorporated in meals by Mc Donald’s to reflect their staple diet in their home country. Your expression of these concepts could be explained more fluently although, it was a good read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Andres
    I really like your personal style of writing and you feel really present and engaged in your text. Even though it is good, your introduction is maybe a little long, get to the point faster. You have great use of mediated sources, creates an exciting presentation.

    You give good examples of how different cultural flows of globalisation have had an influence and is influencing in different parts of the world. Maybe instead of discussing so many different aspects instead focus on fewer at go to more depth with them. I really like you enthusiasm, but maybe watch your grammar in some places.

    Keep up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Andres,
    I liked the personal aspect that you have given to your blog. I think that the introduction was a little bit long but I liked the way that you used the reading. I loved your Glee example and I thought that it was really relevant to your post. Good pictures used throughout the blog too. I think there were a few grammar and spelling mistakes but I really liked the way that you used your own experiences to back your argument up. I think that the picture of the two boys wearing the same clothes was especially effective as it said a lot just through one picture and you discussed it well. Overall it was a good post!
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete